Usually this time of year we are recovering from a long cold winter. Not so this year as we have experienced one of the mildest winters ever seen here in the Cincinnati area. As a result, flowers are sprouting, grass is growing rapidly, and the trees are blooming all much sooner and faster than normal. In my book, that’s just fine by me. I love spring! I love seeing the all the vibrant colors and the bright green grasses. I love the feeling of starting a new season.
Spring is also an important time to take a few key steps to ensure your home serves you well and to protect your investment. Here is a short checklist of items to perform on your home this spring.
- Clean and Test all smoke alarms. (Change Batteries)
- Check operation of carbon monoxide detector. If you don’t have one, I strongly recommend you purchase one.
- Test and reset all ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) breakers and outlets.
- Change or clean the furnace filter monthly.
- Operate the air conditioning system. If service is needed it is more conveniently arranged before the busiest part of the season arrives.
- Adjust registers and confirm that registers and cold-air returns are clear of furniture or draperies.
- Make certain the air conditioner compressor is level and clear of debris.
- Turn the humidifier off and adjust damper to closed or summer position.
- Inspect grout around tile and service as needed.
- Check caulking inside and out and service as needed. Windows and doors are important places to start.
- Start and adjust sprinkler systems. Test exterior faucets.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Clear away old leaves and grass and cut back any landscaping that is touching the house.
If you have any questions or need an opinion about an issue you are having with your home do not hesitate to call or Email. We are here to serve you anyway we can! We can assist you or refer one of our professional trade contractors to you.