Cost per SF is one method of budgeting for a remodeling project that it is widely used by contractors and architects in the industry. However, we prefer not to use SF pricing to determine the overall budget for a project because it can be very inaccurate and misleading. It’s important not only to consider the space, but to also consider what you’re planning to put in the space. Preliminary budget numbers are very important as our clients make decisions to pay for design, plans and spend time planning the project. The initial budgets that we provide our clients are based on historical data on projects with a similar scope of work. It is very important to us that we lead our clients in the right direction with the most accurate budget ranges possible.
Why cost per SF is an inaccurate way to provide a preliminary budget:
- Tie in: All remodeling projects and additions are unique and are designed and built onto different homes with all types of different designs. Proper tie-in is essential structurally and esthetically and all methods have varying amounts of cost to implement.
- Products: The same SF project can have products that vary drastically in cost. Are you planning to use custom cabinets or stock? Hardwood, tile or vinyl flooring? Brick or stone?
- Elements of the design have an impact on overall cost. The same SF addition may have components in them that affect the overall cost of the project. Are you thinking of adding fireplaces? Type of roof and roof pitch? A wet bar? What about HVAC, plumping and electric? Exterior changes may require modifications to the sewer, water or utilities.
- The shape of the addition can also affect the cost. If you have a 500 SF addition that is a simple rectangle and a 500 SF addition with angles and jogs in the walls the latter is more costly to construct even with the exact same square footage.
- Other Factors: Access to the construction area, driveway concerns, demolition of existing spaces, etc.
We take pride in being thorough up front so our customers have a good match with budget and design. This paves the way for an enjoyable, realistic and successful project. We find no value to anyone involved to underestimate initially and then discover the true cost along the way; that can be a painful experience.
Our clients hire us again and again, and refer us because we have a strong professional track record of being our customers’ advocates. We offer guidance, expertise and results and we tailor a project to assure that you meet not only your design goals but also meet your budget from beginning to end.