For many years, as a service to our valued clients, friends and family of Legacy Builders Group, we have been providing a Spring and Fall Home Maintenance Checklist. It has always been our hope that these checklists would be valuable to you, act as a reminder and most importantly save you time and money in the future.
The problem for me, I haven’t taken my own advice! Practice What You Preach. In the early spring I had my HVAC expert out to address an issue on my system. In the process, he reprimanded me and it was well deserved. No, I had not been spraying out my AC unit. Yes, I let the bushes grow up over top of the unit which prevented proper air flow. I know better! He reminded me of the simple maintenance items for your HVAC system that can save you hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars down the road.
I have a second floor bathtub that has needed to be re-caulked for several months. I now have evidence of water penetration in the bathroom ceiling directly below the second floor tub. L Practice What you Preach!
I know what you are thinking. What? You are a contractor. You do this for a living. You of all people should know better. You’re RIGHT. I have said all of these same things to myself, especially when I have to open up my wallet to pay for something that could have been prevented.
Life happens, busy schedules, procrastination to name a few reasons for the negligence. I hope this year’s Fall Home Maintenance Checklist will propel you to action!
Got to run, I have a gutter to clean out.
- Clean and test smoke alarms. (change batteries)
- Check operation of carbon monoxide detector. If you don’t have any, think about purchasing one.
- Test and reset ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) breakers.
- Change or clean the furnace filter monthly. Professional furnace cleaning is recommended.
- Clean Humidifier per manufactures instructions. Adjust damper to open or “winter” position
- Adjust registers and confirm that registers and cold-air returns are clear of furniture or draperies.
- Check fit or exterior doors, adjust weather stripping and thresholds
- Remove hoses from exterior faucets. Shut of water supply to exterior spigots if applicable.
- Inspect chimney or fireplace exhaust for nests.
- Provide professional cleaning of chimney at regular intervals.
- Check caulking, inside and out, and service as needed.
- Drain and winterize your sprinkler system.
- Clean gutters and check downspouts once leaves fall.
- Avoid using de-icing agents with damaging salts to remove snow and ice.
- Decorate safely for the holidays. Do not overload circuits.
If you have any questions or need an opinion about an issue you are having with your home do not hesitate to call or Email. We are here to serve you anyway we can! We can assist you or refer one of our professional trade contractors to you.